Thursday, February 02, 2006

Deniability Factor

Yesterday I received the letter from the Social Security office denying disability benefits. Regardless of medical evidence dating back to 1977 to support my claim, the Social Security office without any further attempt to follow up or interview or discuss with anyone outside their narrow-field experts reagarding my situation, said I can do the kind of work I did before. Even though the State of California had enough evidence to grant me benefits, the national government denied it. No surprise. Legal sources cite that approximately 65% of all first-time applicants are denied benefits. It's a weeding out process, a kind of mind game to challenge the applicant.

I was shocked, initially, by their rejection, then I got pissed off when I re-read the letter and discovered one significant aspect of my disability had been left out. It is something I had documented and had the evidence to support, something that directly relates to the work I had been previously doing. It was conspicously absent from what they claimed were their reasons for denying me benefits. That's what got me pissed off, and made me determined to appeal. It will be interesting to see what kind of battle that entails, but I will share it with you here in the hopes that it will help others seeking similar recognition and aid from Social Security.

Ironically, since my disability is progressive there is no doubt that the further evidence or worsen conditions required by Social Security will be there. It's a shame that the same 65% of people who get denied must be at least 65% worse than they are before the government decides they are worthy of help.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Glad to see you are back to blogging after your month long hiatus. I am sorry to hear about the Social Security disability denial. From what I have heard from people I know who have applied, the mere application process is demeaning and dehumanizing -- so to be rejected, to not be disabled "enough" must be infuriating!

Matthew Van Vlack said...

No doubt, Abigal, and thanks so much for reading and commenting. I am going to appeal it. As easy as it might be to just walk away...I can't do that. Whatever the outcome, I'm going to learn as much as I can to inform others.